Greenwich Office: 203-861-6800
North Haven Office: 203-234-1000

Ensuring You Receive What You Are Owed

Ensuring You Receive What You Are Owed

Matrimonial law, as with many other areas of practice, contains a unique set of circumstances, rules, and laws that are applied to it. What’s more? Cases are hardly ever as straightforward as an amicable separation or an uncontested custody battle, and fighting for your rights often means having to hire an attorney with a depth of knowledge in the particular area. In today’s blog, your North Haven and Greenwich, CT attorneys explore what it means to ensure you receive what you are owed in terms of child support, as well as what you must know about Connecticut law in the process.

Determinations for Child Support

For the purposes of this blog and its content, child support is considered to stem from a parent’s duty to support their children at least until the age of becoming a legal adult, which is 18 years of age. When two spouses decide to go their separate ways, this leads to an uncertainty of what the future of any child(ren) involved in the process will be.

While there are some circumstances in which one parent wants custody of a child and the other does not, in most situations, the battle for custody can become quite messy. Moreover, when a parent is awarded custody of a child, that does not mean that the noncustodial parent is able to shirk his or her responsibilities to raising the child. As such, a determination of child support is often made. To learn more about this process and what it may mean for your situation, give our team a call today.

How it is Enforced

When making a determination for child support, the judge in the state of Connecticut will use an income shares model. This model presumes that children should receive the same proportion of parental income he or she would have received if his or her parents lived together.

When it comes down to enforcement of child support payments, there are actually several ways to go about it. For instance, if the noncustodial parent is willingly refusing to pay what is owed, the custodial parent can seek an application for contempt. Moreover, the court can enforce orders to collect. Contact our office to learn more.

What are Your Options?

Your specific rights and parameters of your child support agreement will largely depend on your situation and your unique needs. As such, it is important you seek information regarding your matter through an initial consultation with a trained legal professional beforehand. Our team is more than willing to help, and we will make sure you receive what you are owed.

Learn More Today

Contact The Law Offices of Charles & Boni-Vendola, LLC in North Haven and Greenwich, CT by calling 203-861-6800 to learn more about the child support process in the state of Connecticut and how our team can be of assistance.


The dissolution of a marriage is emotionally difficult, and our team meets you where you are with compassion and understanding.


We represent you and your children’s best interests through custody matters by gaining a thorough understanding of your situation.

Other Services

Our attorneys can provide representation for your children’s best interests and safety when parties cannot reach agreement.